Are you a budding Playwright? Do you want to learn more about playwriting and work with professional playwrights and directors?
National Theatre New Views project is an annual playwriting programme for 14 - 19 year olds. Each year hundreds of students from across the UK learn about playwriting from some of the finest writers in the business and write their own 30 minute plays, with one play chosen to be staged at the NT with a professional cast. Participants will have the chance to develop their creative writing skills, work with professional writers and directors, see live theatre and receive personal one-to-one feedback on their work.
The NT will be partnering with Theatre Royal Wakefield, to deliver this free project in Wakefield. The New Views Theatre Royal Wakefield Hub runs with the academic year, with sessions on the following dates:
- Monday 7 October 5-7pm
- Monday 14 October 5-7pm
- Monday 28 October A full day over October Half Term 10am - 3pm
- Monday 4 November 5-7pm
- Monday 18 November 5-7pm
There will then be follow up sessions for sharing and feedback in the Spring term.
The programme breaks down into two core components:
1. A writing programme of workshops and group discussions examining character, dialogue, stagecraft and story (to name just a few) which takes place at Theatre Royal Wakefield’s Centre for Creativity, including a visit to a professional production. Sessions are led by a professional director and writer.
2. A national playwriting competition where all students taking part in the programme are eligible to enter their work following editorial advice from professional playwrights. The shortlisted playwrights will have the opportunity to have their play performed as a rehearsed reading at the NT, with the winning play being performed in the Dorfman theatre with a professional cast and creative team.
Each week with you will learn about playwriting through:
- A dynamic online writing course featuring filmed interviews with NT playwrights
- Practical writing exercises
- Provocations for discussion and playwriting, including films, articles and essays exploring different themes and the connection between theatre and politics
Until then, you can find out more about our New Views programme and competition on our website (which we will be updating very soon) here: www.new-views.tv
If you’re interested in taking part in the New Views’ Theatre Royal Wakefield Hub please click here for our FAQs and more information.
If you have any questions about the programme, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.